Evolution of Design of Lee Park
Charlottesville Va Parks and Grounds

The Evolution of Lee Park's Design:
Lee Park 1924

Gravel surrounds the base of the statue.  The park is sparsely populated by old oak and willow trees.  Wide walkways radiate from the Second Street entrances giving easy access from the old McIntire Library across the Street.  The library is now home to the Albemarle Charlottesville Historical Society.

Lee Park prior to 1976

In 1950, boxwoods were planted under the statue and two additional walkways radiating from First Street toward the central plaza were installed.  The walkways were not symmetrical because of the placement of a weeping willow tree.

Lee Park 1998

In the 1970s, most of the boxwoods were removed because of constant complaints about "derelicts" loitering behind them.  New tree plantings included: a white oak, a Japanese maple, a weeping beech and dogwoods.

The City of Charlottesville wishes to thank and acknowledge:
The Albemarle Charlottesville Historical Society

Map and directions | History and Gardens | Lee Park Home | Parks and Grounds Home

Revised 5/18/01 by Stowe Keller


Charlottesville City Home Page