|Jackson Park consists of 0.4 acres and includes
all of the property bordered by Jefferson Street, Fourth Street N.E., High
Street and the Albemarle
County Courthouse Building (location).
This property, once known as "McKee's Row", was deeded to the City by Paul
Goodloe McIntire in 1919 to be used as a park. A narrow lane
which once ran between the County Court Building and the park property
was called McKee's Lane.
A large equestrian monument of Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson, by Charles Keck, is the focal point of the park. The monument was presented by Mr. McIntire as a gift to the city in 1921 and is ranked as one of the three best equestrian statues in the world. The park also contains well-maintained flower beds and a number of benches. (For details on the history and gardens, click here.) Jackson Park, as well as Lee Park, are part of the Virginia Civil War Trails. Both parks also host the annual Governor Jefferson's Thanksgiving Festival with Revolutionary era re-enactments and displays.
Dogs must be on leash and under control. City code requires dog owners to clean up feces of dogs in their care; a plastic bag dispenser/waste receptable is provided for cleaning up dog waste. Failure to abide by the leash law and dog feces cleanup law is a Class 4 misdemeanor.
Park hours are 6AM to 9PM.
Map and directions | History and Gardens | Status | Parks and Grounds Home
Photos of Jackson Park
(contains large files, may take a while to load)
Revised 1/16/02 by Stowe Keller