|Forest Hills Park|
|Lofty oak trees and a magnificent view of Carter's
Mountain highlight the 7.35 acres of rolling land which make up this popular
park, which was originally known as Forest Park. Located
on Forest Hills Avenue, the City acquired the property from J. Hubert and
Dorothy Carver in 1955.
Today there are extensively developed activity areas for individuals of all ages. A Little League baseball field and a concession stand lie at the lowest end of the site near the paved parking area. On the hillside slopes nearby are a number of picnic facilities, including a picnic shelter and outdoor grills. On the promontory ridge is an abundance of playground equipment, including slides, swing sets, a merry-go-round, animal rockers, and a horseshoe pit. At the head of the valley is a large flat area containing two full basketball courts and two wading pools with a swing set.
Forest Hills Park is one of seven case studies in the 1998 publication The City As a Park, A Citizens' Guide to Charlottesville Parks, which is available for purchase from the Parks and Grounds Division.
Dogs must be on leash and under control. City code requires dog owners to clean up feces of dogs in their care; a plastic bag dispenser/waste receptable is provided for cleaning up dog waste. Failure to abide by the leash law and dog feces cleanup law is a Class 4 misdemeanor.
The park is open 6AM to 9PM.
Map and directions | Status | Parks and Grounds Home
Photos of Forest Hills Park
(contains large files, may take a while to load)
Revised 1/16/02 by Stowe Keller